• Shaded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Shade
• Shad Definition & Synonyms
- (n. sing. & pl.) Any one of several species of food fishes of the Herring family. The American species (Clupea sapidissima), which is abundant on the Atlantic coast and ascends the larger rivers in spring to spawn, is an important market fish. The European allice shad, or alose (C. alosa), and the twaite shad. (C. finta), are less important species.
• Shade Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To undergo or exhibit minute difference or variation, as of color, meaning, expression, etc.; to pass by slight changes; -- used chiefly with a preposition, as into, away, off.
- (n.) Shadow.
- (n.) The darker portion of a picture; a less illuminated part. See Def. 1, above.
- (v. t.) To shelter; to cover from injury; to protect; to screen; to hide; as, to shade ones eyes.
- (v. t.) To obscure; to dim the brightness of.
- (n.) An obscure place; a spot not exposed to light; hence, a secluded retreat.
- (n.) Degree or variation of color, as darker or lighter, stronger or paler; as, a delicate shade of pink.
- (n.) A minute difference or variation, as of thought, belief, expression, etc.; also, the quality or degree of anything which is distinguished from others similar by slight differences; as, the shades of meaning in synonyms.
- (v. t.) To mark with gradations of light or color.
- (n.) Darkness; obscurity; -- often in the plural.
- (v. t.) To shelter or screen by intercepting the rays of light; to keep off illumination from.
- (v. t.) To present a shadow or image of; to shadow forth; to represent.
- (n.) The soul after its separation from the body; -- so called because the ancients it to be perceptible to the sight, though not to the touch; a spirit; a ghost; as, the shades of departed heroes.
- (n.) Comparative obscurity owing to interception or interruption of the rays of light; partial darkness caused by the intervention of something between the space contemplated and the source of light.
- (v. t.) To pain in obscure colors; to darken.
- (n.) That which intercepts, or shelters from, light or the direct rays of the sun; hence, also, that which protects from heat or currents of air; a screen; protection; shelter; cover; as, a lamp shade.