• Shelving Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Sloping gradually; inclining; as, a shelving shore.
- (n.) Material for shelves; shelves, collectively.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shelve
- (n.) The act of fitting up shelves; as, the job of shelving a closet.
- (n.) The act of laying on a shelf, or on the shelf; putting off or aside; as, the shelving of a claim.
• Shelve Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To place on a shelf. Hence: To lay on the shelf; to put aside; to dismiss from service; to put off indefinitely; as, to shelve an officer; to shelve a claim.
- (v. i.) To incline gradually; to be slopping; as, the bottom shelves from the shore.
- (v. t.) To furnish with shelves; as, to shelve a closet or a library.