• Shipping Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Ship
- (n.) The collective body of ships in one place, or belonging to one port, country, etc.; vessels, generally; tonnage.
- (n.) Navigation.
- (n.) The act of one who, or of that which, ships; as, the shipping of flour to Liverpool.
- (a.) Relating to, or concerned in, the forwarding of goods; as, a shipping clerk.
- (a.) Relating to ships, their ownership, transfer, or employment; as, shiping concerns.
• Shipping note Definition & Synonyms
- () A document used in shipping goods by sea. In the case of free goods the shipping notes are the receiving note, addressed by the shipper to the chief officer of the vessel, requesting him to receive on board specified goods, and a receipt for the mate to sign, on receiving whose signature it is called the mates receipt, and is surrendered by the shipper for the bills of lading.