• Shorten Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To become short or shorter; as, the day shortens in northern latitudes from June to December; a metallic rod shortens by cold.
- (a.) To make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard, pot liquor, or the like.
- (a.) To make short or shorter in measure, extent, or time; as, to shorten distance; to shorten a road; to shorten days of calamity.
- (a.) To make deficient (as to); to deprive; -- with of.
- (a.) To reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to lessen; to abridge; to curtail; to contract; as, to shorten work, an allowance of food, etc.
• Shortener Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, shortens.
• Shortening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shorten
- (n.) The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
- (n.) That which renders pastry short or friable, as butter, lard, etc.