• Shrouding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shroud
- (n.) The shrouds. See Shroud, n., 7.
• Shroud Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To cover, as with a shroud; to protect completely; to cover so as to conceal; to hide; to veil.
- (n.) The branching top of a tree; foliage.
- (n.) A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or den; also, a vault or crypt.
- (n.) To cover with a shroud; especially, to inclose in a winding sheet; to dress for the grave.
- (v. t.) To lop. See Shrood.
- (n.) That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
- (n.) That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.
- (n.) A set of ropes serving as stays to support the masts. The lower shrouds are secured to the sides of vessels by heavy iron bolts and are passed around the head of the lower masts.
- (v. i.) To take shelter or harbor.
- (n.) Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.
- (n.) One of the two annular plates at the periphery of a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a shroud plate.