• Shut Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A door or cover; a shutter.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Shut
- (n.) The line or place where two pieces of metal are united by welding.
- (v. t.) To close so as to hinder ingress or egress; as, to shut a door or a gate; to shut ones eyes or mouth.
- (a.) Closed or fastened; as, a shut door.
- (n.) The act or time of shutting; close; as, the shut of a door.
- (a.) Cut off sharply and abruptly by a following consonant in the same syllable, as the English short vowels, /, /, /, /, /, always are.
- (v. t.) To fold together; to close over, as the fingers; to close by bringing the parts together; as, to shut the hand; to shut a book.
- (v. t.) To preclude; to exclude; to bar out.
- (v. t.) To forbid entrance into; to prohibit; to bar; as, to shut the ports of a country by a blockade.
- (a.) Rid; clear; free; as, to get shut of a person.
- (v. i.) To close itself; to become closed; as, the door shuts; it shuts hard.
- (a.) Formed by complete closure of the mouth passage, and with the nose passage remaining closed; stopped, as are the mute consonants, p, t, k, b, d, and hard g.
• Shute Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Same as Chute, or Shoot.