• Sighing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sigh
- (a.) Uttering sighs; grieving; lamenting.
• Sigh Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Hence, to lament; to grieve.
- (v. i.) To inhale a larger quantity of air than usual, and immediately expel it; to make a deep single audible respiration, especially as the result or involuntary expression of fatigue, exhaustion, grief, sorrow, or the like.
- (v. i.) To make a sound like sighing.
- (v. t.) To utter sighs over; to lament or mourn over.
- (v. i.) A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued or grieved; the act of sighing.
- (v. i.) Figuratively, a manifestation of grief; a lan/ent.
- (v. t.) To express by sighs; to utter in or with sighs.
- (v. t.) To exhale (the breath) in sighs.