• Silence Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Forbearance from, or absence of, speech; taciturnity; muteness.
- (n.) Secrecy; as, these things were transacted in silence.
- (n.) The state of being silent; entire absence of sound or noise; absolute stillness.
- (v. t.) To cause to cease firing, as by a vigorous cannonade; as, to silence the batteries of an enemy.
- (interj.) Be silent; -- used elliptically for let there be silence, or keep silence.
- (n.) Absence of mention; oblivion.
- (n.) The cessation of rage, agitation, or tumilt; calmness; quiest; as, the elements were reduced to silence.
- (v. t.) To restrain from the exercise of any function, privilege of instruction, or the like, especially from the act of preaching; as, to silence a minister of the gospel.
- (v. t.) To put to rest; to quiet.
- (v. t.) To compel to silence; to cause to be still; to still; to hush.
• Silenced Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Silence