• Simple Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Homogenous.
- (a.) A feast which is not a double or a semidouble.
- (a.) A medicinal plant; -- so called because each vegetable was supposed to possess its particular virtue, and therefore to constitute a simple remedy.
- (a.) Without subdivisions; entire; as, a simple stem; a simple leaf.
- (a.) Not capable of being decomposed into anything more simple or ultimate by any means at present known; elementary; thus, atoms are regarded as simple bodies. Cf. Ultimate, a.
- (a.) Plain; unadorned; as, simple dress.
- (a.) A part of the apparatus for raising the heddles of a drawloom.
- (a.) Mere; not other than; being only.
- (a.) Consisting of a single individual or zooid; as, a simple ascidian; -- opposed to compound.
- (a.) Artless in manner; unaffected; unconstrained; natural; inartificial;; straightforward.
- (a.) Not luxurious; without much variety; plain; as, a simple diet; a simple way of living.
- (a.) Weak in intellect; not wise or sagacious; of but moderate understanding or attainments; hence, foolish; silly.
- (a.) A drawloom.
- (a.) Single; not complex; not infolded or entangled; uncombined; not compounded; not blended with something else; not complicated; as, a simple substance; a simple idea; a simple sound; a simple machine; a simple problem; simple tasks.
- (a.) Something not mixed or compounded.
- (a.) Direct; clear; intelligible; not abstruse or enigmatical; as, a simple statement; simple language.
- (a.) Not given to artifice, stratagem, or duplicity; undesigning; sincere; true.
- (a.) Humble; lowly; undistinguished.
- (v. i.) To gather simples, or medicinal plants.
• Simpleton Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person of weak intellect; a silly person.