• Sleep Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A natural and healthy, but temporary and periodical, suspension of the functions of the organs of sense, as well as of those of the voluntary and rational soul; that state of the animal in which there is a lessened acuteness of sensory perception, a confusion of ideas, and a loss of mental control, followed by a more or less unconscious state.
- (v. i.) To be, or appear to be, in repose; to be quiet; to be unemployed, unused, or unagitated; to rest; to lie dormant; as, a question sleeps for the present; the law sleeps.
- (v. i.) To take rest by a suspension of the voluntary exercise of the powers of the body and mind, and an apathy of the organs of sense; to slumber.
- (v. i.) To be dead; to lie in the grave.
- (v. t.) To give sleep to; to furnish with accomodations for sleeping; to lodge.
- () imp. of Sleep. Slept.
- (v. i.) To be careless, inattentive, or uncouncerned; not to be vigilant; to live thoughtlessly.
- (v. t.) To be slumbering in; -- followed by a cognate object; as, to sleep a dreamless sleep.
• Sleepmarken Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See 1st Hag, 4.