• Slinging Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sling
• Sling Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To hang so as to swing; as, to sling a pack.
- (v. t.) To throw; to hurl; to cast.
- (v. t.) A strap attached to a firearm, for suspending it from the shoulder.
- (v. t.) To pass a rope round, as a cask, gun, etc., preparatory to attaching a hoisting or lowering tackle.
- (v. t.) A kind of hanging bandage put around the neck, in which a wounded arm or hand is supported.
- (v. t.) The act or motion of hurling as with a sling; a throw; figuratively, a stroke.
- (v. t.) A contrivance for sustaining anything by suspension
- (n.) A drink composed of spirit (usually gin) and water sweetened.
- (v. t.) An instrument for throwing stones or other missiles, consisting of a short strap with two strings fastened to its ends, or with a string fastened to one end and a light stick to the other. The missile being lodged in a hole in the strap, the ends of the string are taken in the hand, and the whole whirled rapidly round until, by loosing one end, the missile is let fly with centrifugal force.
- (v. t.) To throw with a sling.
- (v. t.) A band of rope or iron for securing a yard to a mast; -- chiefly in the plural.
- (v. t.) A loop of rope, or a rope or chain with hooks, for suspending a barrel, bale, or other heavy object, in hoisting or lowering.