• Slur Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cheat, as by sliding a die; to trick.
- (n.) A mark or stain; hence, a slight reproach or disgrace; a stigma; a reproachful intimation; an innuendo.
- (v. t.) To blur or double, as an impression from type; to mackle.
- (v. t.) To sing or perform in a smooth, gliding style; to connect smoothly in performing, as several notes or tones.
- (n.) A mark, thus [/ or /], connecting notes that are to be sung to the same syllable, or made in one continued breath of a wind instrument, or with one stroke of a bow; a tie; a sign of legato.
- (v. t.) To disparage; to traduce.
- (v. t.) To pronounce indistinctly; as, to slur syllables.
- (n.) A trick played upon a person; an imposition.
- (v. t.) To cover over; to disguise; to conceal; to pass over lightly or with little notice.
- (v. t.) To soil; to sully; to contaminate; to disgrace.
- (n.) In knitting machines, a contrivance for depressing the sinkers successively by passing over them.
• Slurring Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Slur