• Smoking Definition & Synonyms
- () a. & n. from Smoke.
- (p. pr. & vb n.) of Smoke
• Smoke Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The visible exhalation, vapor, or substance that escapes, or expelled, from a burning body, especially from burning vegetable matter, as wood, coal, peat, or the like.
- (v. t.) To ridicule to the face; to quiz.
- (n.) Hence, to burn; to be kindled; to rage.
- (n.) That which resembles smoke; a vapor; a mist.
- (n.) The act of smoking, esp. of smoking tobacco; as, to have a smoke.
- (n.) To emit smoke; to throw off volatile matter in the form of vapor or exhalation; to reek.
- (v. t.) To inhale and puff out the smoke of, as tobacco; to burn or use in smoking; as, to smoke a pipe or a cigar.
- (n.) To draw into the mouth the smoke of tobacco burning in a pipe or in the form of a cigar, cigarette, etc.; to habitually use tobacco in this manner.
- (n.) Anything unsubstantial, as idle talk.
- (v. t.) To subject to the operation of smoke, for the purpose of annoying or driving out; -- often with out; as, to smoke a woodchuck out of his burrow.
- (v. t.) To smell out; to hunt out; to find out; to detect.
- (v. t.) To apply smoke to; to hang in smoke; to disinfect, to cure, etc., by smoke; as, to smoke or fumigate infected clothing; to smoke beef or hams for preservation.
- (n.) To suffer severely; to be punished.
- (v. t.) To fill or scent with smoke; hence, to fill with incense; to perfume.
- (n.) To raise a dust or smoke by rapid motion.