• Smooth Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To free from obstruction; to make easy.
- (a.) To make smooth; to make even on the surface by any means; as, to smooth a board with a plane; to smooth cloth with an iron.
- (n.) The act of making smooth; a stroke which smooths.
- (superl.) Bland; mild; smoothing; fattering.
- (superl.) Causing no resistance to a body sliding along its surface; frictionless.
- (a.) To palliate; to gloze; as, to smooth over a fault.
- (superl.) Gently flowing; moving equably; not ruffled or obstructed; as, a smooth stream.
- (a.) To free from harshness; to make flowing.
- (v. i.) To flatter; to use blandishment.
- (a.) To give a smooth or calm appearance to.
- (superl.) Having an even surface, or a surface so even that no roughness or points can be perceived by the touch; not rough; as, smooth glass; smooth porcelain.
- (adv.) Smoothly.
- (superl.) Flowing or uttered without check, obstruction, or hesitation; not harsh; voluble; even; fluent.
- (n.) That which is smooth; the smooth part of anything.
- (a.) To ease; to regulate.
- (superl.) Evenly spread or arranged; sleek; as, smooth hair.
• Smoothbore Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A smoothbore firearm.
- (a.) Having a bore of perfectly smooth surface; -- distinguished from rifled.