• Smother Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which smothers or causes a sensation of smothering, as smoke, fog, the foam of the sea, a confused multitude of things.
- (v. t.) Stifling smoke; thick dust.
- (v. i.) To be suffocated or stifled.
- (v. t.) A state of suppression.
- (v. i.) To burn slowly, without sufficient air; to smolder.
- (v. t.) To affect as by suffocation; to stife; to deprive of air by a thick covering, as of ashes, of smoke, or the like; as, to smother a fire.
- (v. t.) To destroy the life of by suffocation; to deprive of the air necessary for life; to cover up closely so as to prevent breathing; to suffocate; as, to smother a child.
- (v. t.) Hence, to repress the action of; to cover from public view; to suppress; to conceal; as, to smother ones displeasure.
• Smothery Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Tending to smother; stifling.
• Smotheringly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a smothering manner.