• Snap Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Done, performed, made, executed, carried through, or the like, quickly and without deliberation; as, a snap judgment or decision; a snap political convention.
- (n.) A snapshot.
- (v. t.) To catch out sharply (a batsman who has just snicked a bowled ball).
- (n.) Something of no value; as, not worth a snap.
- (n.) A snap shot with a firearm.
- (v. i.) Of the eyes, to emit sudden, brief sparkles like those of a snapping fire, as sometimes in anger.
- (n.) Any task, labor, set of circumstances, or the like, that yields satisfactory results or gives pleasure with little trouble or effort, as an easy course of study, a job where work is light, a bargain, etc.
- (v. t.) A sharp, abrupt sound, as that made by the crack of a whip; as, the snap of the trigger of a gun.
- (v. t.) A greedy fellow.
- (v. i.) To break short, or at once; to part asunder suddenly; as, a mast snaps; a needle snaps.
- (n.) To bite or seize suddenly, especially with the teeth.
- (v. i.) To give forth, or produce, a sharp, cracking noise; to crack; as, blazing firewood snaps.
- (v. t.) A sudden, sharp motion or blow, as with the finger sprung from the thumb, or the thumb from the finger.
- (n.) To break at once; to break short, as substances that are brittle.
- (n.) To strike, to hit, or to shut, with a sharp sound.
- (v. t.) A sudden breaking or rupture of any substance.
- (n.) To project with a snap.
- (v. t.) A small catch or fastening held or closed by means of a spring, or one which closes with a snapping sound, as the catch of a bracelet, necklace, clasp of a book, etc.
- (n.) To break upon suddenly with sharp, angry words; to treat snappishly; -- usually with up.
- (v. t.) Briskness; vigor; energy; decision.
- (v. i.) To miss fire; as, the gun snapped.
- (v. i.) To utter sharp, harsh, angry words; -- often with at; as, to snap at a child.
- (v. t.) That which is, or may be, snapped up; something bitten off, seized, or obtained by a single quick movement; hence, a bite, morsel, or fragment; a scrap.
- (v. t.) A snap beetle.
- (v. t.) A sudden, eager bite; a sudden seizing, or effort to seize, as with the teeth.
- (n.) To crack; to cause to make a sharp, cracking noise; as, to snap a whip.
- (v. t.) A thin, crisp cake, usually small, and flavored with ginger; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- (v. i.) To make an effort to bite; to aim to seize with the teeth; to catch eagerly (at anything); -- often with at; as, a dog snapsat a passenger; a fish snaps at the bait.
- (v. t.) Any circumstance out of which money may be made or an advantage gained.
- (v. t.) A sudden severe interval or spell; -- applied to the weather; as, a cold snap.
• Snaphead Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A hemispherical or rounded head to a rivet or bolt; also, a swaging tool with a cavity in its face for forming such a rounded head.
• Snappish Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Sharp in reply; apt to speak angrily or testily; easily provoked; tart; peevish.
- (a.) Apt to snap at persons or things; eager to bite; as, a snapping cur.