• Sol Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Sole
- (n.) A syllable applied in solmization to the note G, or to the fifth tone of any diatonic scale.
- (n.) Gold; -- so called from its brilliancy, color, and value.
- (n.) The sun.
- (n.) A sou.
- (n.) A silver and gold coin of Peru. The silver sol is the unit of value, and is worth about 68 cents.
- (n.) The tone itself.
• Solanidine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An alkaloid produced by the decomposition of solanine, as a white crystalline substance having a harsh bitter taste.
• Solanine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A poisonous alkaloid glucoside extracted from the berries of common nightshade (Solanum nigrum), and of bittersweet, and from potato sprouts, as a white crystalline substance having an acrid, burning taste; -- called also solonia, and solanina.