• Solicit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To disturb; to disquiet; -- a Latinism rarely used.
- (v. t.) To awake or excite to action; to rouse desire in; to summon; to appeal to; to invite.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to obtain; to seek; to plead for; as, to solicit an office; to solicit a favor.
- (v. t.) To ask from with earnestness; to make petition to; to apply to for obtaining something; as, to solicit person for alms.
- (v. t.) To urge the claims of; to plead; to act as solicitor for or with reference to.
• Solicitor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The law officer of a city, town, department, or government; as, the city solicitor; the solicitor of the treasury.
- (n.) An attorney or advocate; one who represents another in court; -- formerly, in English practice, the professional designation of a person admitted to practice in a court of chancery or equity. See the Note under Attorney.
- (n.) One who solicits.
• Soliciting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Solicit