• Soot Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Alt. of Soote
- (v. t.) To cover or dress with soot; to smut with, or as with, soot; as, to soot land.
- (n.) A black substance formed by combustion, or disengaged from fuel in the process of combustion, which rises in fine particles, and adheres to the sides of the chimney or pipe conveying the smoke; strictly, the fine powder, consisting chiefly of carbon, which colors smoke, and which is the result of imperfect combustion. See Smoke.
• Soothfast Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Soothly; really; in fact.
- (a.) Firmly fixed in, or founded upon, the thruth; true; genuine; real; also, truthful; faithful.
• Soothed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Soothe