• Span Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Hence, a small space or a brief portion of time.
- (v. t.) The spread or extent of an arch between its abutments, or of a beam, girder, truss, roof, bridge, or the like, between its supports.
- (v. t.) A pair of horses or other animals driven together; usually, such a pair of horses when similar in color, form, and action.
- (v. t.) To measure by the span of the hand with the fingers extended, or with the fingers encompassing the object; as, to span a space or distance; to span a cylinder.
- (v. t.) To reach from one side of to the order; to stretch over as an arch.
- (v. t.) The space from the thumb to the end of the little finger when extended; nine inches; eighth of a fathom.
- () imp. & p. p. of Spin.
- (v. t.) To fetter, as a horse; to hobble.
- (v. t.) A rope having its ends made fast so that a purchase can be hooked to the bight; also, a rope made fast in the center so that both ends can be used.
- (v. i.) To be matched, as horses.
- (imp.) of Spin
• Spanish Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Spain or the Spaniards.
- (n.) The language of Spain.
• Spaniel Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Cringing; fawning.
- (n.) One of a breed of small dogs having long and thick hair and large drooping ears. The legs are usually strongly feathered, and the tail bushy. See Illust. under Clumber, and Cocker.
- (n.) A cringing, fawning person.
- (v. i.) To fawn; to cringe; to be obsequious.
- (v. t.) To follow like a spaniel.