• Speaking Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Uttering speech; used for conveying speech; as, man is a speaking animal; a speaking tube.
- (a.) Seeming to be capable of speech; hence, lifelike; as, a speaking likeness.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Speak
• Speak Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To convey sentiments, ideas, or intelligence as if by utterance; as, features that speak of self-will.
- (v. t.) To utter in a word or words; to say; to tell; to declare orally; as, to speak the truth; to speak sense.
- (v. i.) To express opinions; to say; to talk; to converse.
- (v. t.) To utter with the mouth; to pronounce; to utter articulately, as human beings.
- (v. t.) To address; to accost; to speak to.
- (v. i.) To utter words or articulate sounds, as human beings; to express thoughts by words; as, the organs may be so obstructed that a man may not be able to speak.
- (v. i.) To utter a speech, discourse, or harangue; to adress a public assembly formally.
- (v. i.) To give sound; to sound.
- (v. i.) To discourse; to make mention; to tell.
- (v. t.) To talk or converse in; to utter or pronounce, as in conversation; as, to speak Latin.
- (v. t.) To declare; to proclaim; to publish; to make known; to exhibit; to express in any way.