• Spend Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To weigh or lay out; to dispose of; to part with; as, to spend money for clothing.
- (v. t.) To exhaust of force or strength; to waste; to wear away; as, the violence of the waves was spent.
- (v. t.) To consume; to waste; to squander; to exhaust; as, to spend an estate in gaming or other vices.
- (v. t.) To pass, as time; to suffer to pass away; as, to spend a day idly; to spend winter abroad.
- (v. t.) To bestow; to employ; -- often with on or upon.
- (v. i.) To break ground; to continue working.
- (v. i.) To waste or wear away; to be consumed; to lose force or strength; to vanish; as, energy spends in the using of it.
- (v. i.) To expend money or any other possession; to consume, use, waste, or part with, anything; as, he who gets easily spends freely.
- (v. i.) To be diffused; to spread.
• Spendthrifty Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Spendthrift; prodigal.
• Spender Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who spends; esp., one who spends lavishly; a prodigal; a spendthrift.
• Spending Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Spend
- (n.) The act of expending; expenditure.