• Spike Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Anything resembling such a nail in shape.
- (v. t.) To fix on a spike.
- (n.) A sort of very large nail; also, a piece of pointed iron set with points upward or outward.
- (v. t.) To stop the vent of (a gun or cannon) by driving a spike nail, or the like into it.
- (n.) Spike lavender. See Lavender.
- (v. t.) To set or furnish with spikes.
- (n.) A kind of flower cluster in which sessile flowers are arranged on an unbranched elongated axis.
- (n.) An ear of corn or grain.
- (v. t.) To fasten with spikes, or long, large nails; as, to spike down planks.
• Spikebill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The marbled godwit (Limosa fedoa).
- (n.) The hooded merganser.
• Spikenard Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An aromatic plant. In the United States it is the Aralia racemosa, often called spignet, and used as a medicine. The spikenard of the ancients is the Nardostachys Jatamansi, a native of the Himalayan region. From its blackish roots a perfume for the hair is still prepared in India.
- (n.) A fragrant essential oil, as that from the Nardostachys Jatamansi.