• Spindle Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A long and slender stalk resembling a spindle.
- (n.) A yarn measure containing, in cotton yarn, 15,120 yards; in linen yarn, 14,400 yards.
- (v. i.) To shoot or grow into a long, slender stalk or body; to become disproportionately tall and slender.
- (n.) The vertical rod on which the runner of a grinding mill turns.
- (n.) A solid generated by the revolution of a curved line about its base or double ordinate or chord.
- (n.) The long, round, slender rod or pin in spinning wheels by which the thread is twisted, and on which, when twisted, it is wound; also, the pin on which the bobbin is held in a spinning machine, or in the shuttle of a loom.
- (n.) A slender rod or pin on which anything turns; an axis; as, the spindle of a vane.
- (n.) A shaft or pipe on which a core of sand is formed.
- (n.) The shaft, mandrel, or arbor, in a machine tool, as a lathe or drilling machine, etc., which causes the work to revolve, or carries a tool or center, etc.
- (n.) Any marine gastropod of the genus Fusus.
- (n.) Any marine univalve shell of the genus Rostellaria; -- called also spindle stromb.
- (n.) The fusee of a watch.
• Spindle-shanked Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having long, slender legs.
• Spindletail Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The pintail duck.