• Stalk Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or process of stalking.
- (n.) An iron bar with projections inserted in a core to strengthen it; a core arbor.
- (n.) The petiole, pedicel, or peduncle, of a plant.
- (n.) The narrow basal portion of the abdomen of a hymenopterous insect.
- (n.) A stem or peduncle, as of certain barnacles and crinoids.
- (v. i.) To walk slowly and cautiously; to walk in a stealthy, noiseless manner; -- sometimes used with a reflexive pronoun.
- (n.) The stem or main axis of a plant; as, a stalk of wheat, rye, or oats; the stalks of maize or hemp.
- (n.) An ornament in the Corinthian capital resembling the stalk of a plant, from which the volutes and helices spring.
- (n.) One of the two upright pieces of a ladder.
- (v. t.) To approach under cover of a screen, or by stealth, for the purpose of killing, as game.
- (n.) A high, proud, stately step or walk.
- (v. i.) To walk behind something as a screen, for the purpose of approaching game; to proceed under clover.
- (n.) That which resembes the stalk of a plant, as the stem of a quill.
- (v. i.) To walk with high and proud steps; usually implying the affectation of dignity, and indicating dislike. The word is used, however, especially by the poets, to express dignity of step.
- (n.) The peduncle of the eyes of decapod crustaceans.
• Stalkless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having no stalk.