• Stave Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the cylindrical bars of a lantern wheel; one of the bars or rounds of a rack, a ladder, etc.
- (n.) To delay by force or craft; to drive away; -- usually with off; as, to stave off the execution of a project.
- (n.) One of a number of narrow strips of wood, or narrow iron plates, placed edge to edge to form the sides, covering, or lining of a vessel or structure; esp., one of the strips which form the sides of a cask, a pail, etc.
- (v. i.) To burst in pieces by striking against something; to dash into fragments.
- (n.) The five horizontal and parallel lines on and between which musical notes are written or pointed; the staff.
- (n.) To furnish with staves or rundles.
- (n.) To push, as with a staff; -- with off.
- (n.) A metrical portion; a stanza; a staff.
- (n.) To suffer, or cause, to be lost by breaking the cask.
- (n.) To render impervious or solid by driving with a calking iron; as, to stave lead, or the joints of pipes into which lead has been run.
- (n.) To break in a stave or the staves of; to break a hole in; to burst; -- often with in; as, to stave a cask; to stave in a boat.
• Staved Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stave
• Stavesacre Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A kind of larkspur (Delphinium Staphysagria), and its seeds, which are violently purgative and emetic. They are used as a parasiticide, and in the East for poisoning fish.