• Stayed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Staid; fixed; settled; sober; -- now written staid. See Staid.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stay
• Stay Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To come to an end; to cease; as, that day the storm stayed.
- (v. i.) To tack, as a vessel, so that the other side of the vessel shall be presented to the wind.
- (v. i.) To continue in a state.
- (n.) Hindrance; let; check.
- (v. i.) To bear up under; to endure; to support; to resist successfully.
- (v. i.) To support from sinking; to sustain with strength; to satisfy in part or for the time.
- (v. i.) To remain for the purpose of; to wait for.
- (n.) That which serves as a prop; a support.
- (v. i.) To fasten or secure with stays; as, to stay a flat sheet in a steam boiler.
- (v. i.) To change tack; as a ship.
- (v. i.) To rest; to depend; to rely; to stand; to insist.
- (v. i.) To remain; to continue in a place; to abide fixed for a space of time; to stop; to stand still.
- (n.) Restraint of passion; moderation; caution; steadiness; sobriety.
- (v. i.) To stop from motion or falling; to prop; to fix firmly; to hold up; to support.
- (v. i.) To wait; to attend; to forbear to act.
- (n.) Continuance in a place; abode for a space of time; sojourn; as, you make a short stay in this city.
- (n.) Cessation of motion or progression; stand; stop.
- (v. i.) To hinde/; to delay; to detain; to keep back.
- (n.) Strictly, a part in tension to hold the parts together, or stiffen them.
- (v. i.) To hold out in a race or other contest; as, a horse stays well.
- (n.) A large, strong rope, employed to support a mast, by being extended from the head of one mast down to some other, or to some part of the vessel. Those which lead forward are called fore-and-aft stays; those which lead to the vessels side are called backstays. See Illust. of Ship.
- (v. i.) To dwell; to tarry; to linger.
- (v. i.) To hold from proceeding; to withhold; to restrain; to stop; to hold.
- (v. i.) To cause to cease; to put an end to.
- (n.) A corset stiffened with whalebone or other material, worn by women, and rarely by men.
• Stayedly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Staidly. See Staidly.
• Stayedness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Solidity; weight.
- (n.) Staidness.