• Steerage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or practice of steering, or directing; as, the steerage of a ship.
- (n.) The hinder part of a vessel; the stern.
- (n.) The effect of the helm on a ship; the manner in which an individual ship is affected by the helm.
- (n.) Properly, the space in the after part of a vessel, under the cabin, but used generally to indicate any part of a vessel having the poorest accommodations and occupied by passengers paying the lowest rate of fare.
- (n.) Direction; regulation; management; guidance.
- (n.) That by which a course is directed.
• Steerageway Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A rate of motion through the water sufficient to render a vessel governable by the helm.