• Sterling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A certain standard of quality or value for money.
- (a.) Belonging to, or relating to, the standard British money of account, or the British coinage; as, a pound sterling; a shilling sterling; a penny sterling; -- now chiefly applied to the lawful money of England; but sterling cost, sterling value, are used.
- (n.) Any English coin of standard value; coined money.
- (a.) Genuine; pure; of excellent quality; conforming to the highest standard; of full value; as, a work of sterling merit; a man of sterling good sense.
- (n.) Same as Starling, 3.