• Steward Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person employed in a hotel, or a club, or on board a ship, to provide for the table, superintend the culinary affairs, etc. In naval vessels, the captains steward, wardroom steward, steerage steward, warrant officers steward, etc., are petty officers who provide for the messes under their charge.
- (n.) A man employed in a large family, or on a large estate, to manage the domestic concerns, supervise other servants, collect the rents or income, keep accounts, and the like.
- (v. t.) To manage as a steward.
- (n.) In Scotland, a magistrate appointed by the crown to exercise jurisdiction over royal lands.
- (n.) In some colleges, an officer who provides food for the students and superintends the kitchen; also, an officer who attends to the accounts of the students.
- (n.) A fiscal agent of certain bodies; as, a steward in a Methodist church.
• Stewardess Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A female steward; specifically, a woman employed in passenger vessels to attend to the wants of female passengers.
• Stewardship Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The office of a steward.