• Stitching Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Stitch
- (n.) Work done by sewing, esp. when a continuous line of stitches is shown on the surface; stitches, collectively.
- (n.) The act of one who stitches.
• Stitch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An arrangement of stitches, or method of stitching in some particular way or style; as, cross-stitch; herringbone stitch, etc.
- (v. i.) A local sharp pain; an acute pain, like the piercing of a needle; as, a stitch in the side.
- (v. i.) To practice stitching, or needlework.
- (v. t.) To form stitches in; especially, to sew in such a manner as to show on the surface a continuous line of stitches; as, to stitch a shirt bosom.
- (v. t.) To sew, or unite together by stitches; as, to stitch printed sheets in making a book or a pamphlet.
- (v. i.) A contortion, or twist.
- (v. i.) A furrow.
- (v. i.) A space of work taken up, or gone over, in a single pass of the needle; hence, by extension, any space passed over; distance.
- (v. t.) To form land into ridges.
- (v. i.) A single pass of a needle in sewing; the loop or turn of the thread thus made.
- (v. i.) A single turn of the thread round a needle in knitting; a link, or loop, of yarn; as, to let down, or drop, a stitch; to take up a stitch.
- (v. i.) Any least part of a fabric or dress; as, to wet every stitch of clothes.