• Stoving Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Stove
• Stove Definition & Synonyms
- () of Stave
- (v. t.) To keep warm, in a house or room, by artificial heat; as, to stove orange trees.
- () imp. of Stave.
- (v. t.) To heat or dry, as in a stove; as, to stove feathers.
- (n.) An apparatus, consisting essentially of a receptacle for fuel, made of iron, brick, stone, or tiles, and variously constructed, in which fire is made or kept for warming a room or a house, or for culinary or other purposes.
- (n.) A house or room artificially warmed or heated; a forcing house, or hothouse; a drying room; -- formerly, designating an artificially warmed dwelling or room, a parlor, or a bathroom, but now restricted, in this sense, to heated houses or rooms used for horticultural purposes or in the processes of the arts.