• Straighted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Straighten
• Straight Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a straight manner; directly; rightly; forthwith; immediately; as, the arrow went straight to the mark.
- (superl.) Unmixed; undiluted; as, to take liquor straight.
- (v. t.) To straighten.
- (superl.) Approximately straight; not much curved; as, straight ribs are such as pass from the base of a leaf to the apex, with a small curve.
- (n.) A hand of five cards in consecutive order as to value; a sequence. When they are of one suit, it is calles straight flush.
- (superl.) Conforming to justice and rectitude; not deviating from truth or fairness; upright; as, straight dealing.
- (superl.) Making no exceptions or deviations in ones support of the organization and candidates of a political party; as, a straight Republican; a straight Democrat; also, containing the names of all the regularly nominated candidates of a party and no others; as, a straight ballot.
- (superl.) Composed of cards which constitute a regular sequence, as the ace, king, queen, jack, and ten-spot; as, a straight hand; a straight flush.
- (a.) A variant of Strait, a.
- (superl.) Right, in a mathematical sense; passing from one point to another by the nearest course; direct; not deviating or crooked; as, a straight line or course; a straight piece of timber.
• Straightedge Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A board, or piece of wood or metal, having one edge perfectly straight, -- used to ascertain whether a line is straight or a surface even, and for drawing straight lines.