• Strut Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Protuberant.
- (v. t.) To hold apart. Cf. Strut, n., 3.
- (v. t.) To swell; to bulge out.
- (v. t.) To walk with a lofty, proud gait, and erect head; to walk with affected dignity.
- (n.) In general, any piece of a frame which resists thrust or pressure in the direction of its own length. See Brace, and Illust. of Frame, and Roof.
- (n.) The act of strutting; a pompous step or walk.
- (n.) Any part of a machine or structure, of which the principal function is to hold things apart; a brace subjected to compressive stress; -- the opposite of stay, and tie.
• Struthiones Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) In a wider sense, an extensive group of birds including the ostriches, cassowaries, emus, moas, and allied birds incapable of flight. In this sense it is equivalent to Ratitae, or Dromaeognathae.
- (pl. ) of Struthio
- (n. pl.) A division, or order, of birds, including only the African ostriches.
• Strutting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Strut
- () a. & n. from Strut, v.