• Subdued Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Conquered; overpowered; crushed; submissive; mild.
- (a.) Not glaring in color; soft in tone.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Subdue
• Subdue Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To destroy the force of; to overcome; as, medicines subdue a fever.
- (v. t.) To render submissive; to bring under command; to reduce to mildness or obedience; to tame; as, to subdue a stubborn child; to subdue the temper or passions.
- (v. t.) To reduce to tenderness; to melt; to soften; as, to subdue ferocity by tears.
- (v. t.) To overcome, as by persuasion or other mild means; as, to subdue opposition by argument or entreaties.
- (v. t.) To reduce the intensity or degree of; to tone down; to soften; as, to subdue the brilliancy of colors.
- (v. t.) To overpower so as to disable from further resistance; to crush.
- (v. t.) To make mellow; to break, as land; also, to destroy, as weeds.
- (v. t.) To bring under; to conquer by force or the exertion of superior power, and bring into permanent subjection; to reduce under dominion; to vanquish.