• Substitution Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of substituting or putting one person or thing in the place of another; as, the substitution of an agent, attorney, or representative to act for one in his absense; the substitution of bank notes for gold and silver as a circulating medium.
- (n.) The act or process of substituting an atom or radical for another atom or radical; metethesis; also, the state of being so substituted. See Metathesis.
- (n.) The state of being substituted for another.
- (n.) The office or authority of one acting for another; delegated authority.
- (n.) The designation of a person in a will to take a devise or legacy, either on failure of a former devisee or legatee by incapacity or unwillingness to accept, or after him.
- (n.) The doctrine that Christ suffered vicariously, being substituted for the sinner, and that his sufferings were expiatory.
• Substitutional Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to substitution; standing in the place of another; substituted.