• Succeeding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Succeed
- (n.) The act of one who, or that which, succeeds; also, that which succeeds, or follows after; consequence.
• Succeed Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To obtain the object desired; to accomplish what is attempted or intended; to have a prosperous issue or termination; to be successful; as, he succeeded in his plans; his plans succeeded.
- (v. i.) To come in the place of another person, thing, or event; to come next in the usual, natural, or prescribed course of things; to follow; hence, to come next in the possession of anything; -- often with to.
- (v. t.) To support; to prosper; to promote.
- (v. t.) To come after; to be subsequent or consequent to; to follow; to pursue.
- (v. i.) To descend, as an estate or an heirloom, in the same family; to devolve.
- (v. t.) To follow in order; to come next after; hence, to take the place of; as, the kings eldest son succeeds his father on the throne; autumn succeeds summer.
- (v. i.) Specifically: To ascend the throne after the removal the death of the occupant.
- (v. t.) To fall heir to; to inherit.
- (v. i.) To go under cover.