• Sugaring Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of covering or sweetening with sugar; also, the sugar thus used.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sugar
- (n.) The act or process of making sugar.
• Sugar Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sweet white (or brownish yellow) crystalline substance, of a sandy or granular consistency, obtained by crystallizing the evaporated juice of certain plants, as the sugar cane, sorghum, beet root, sugar maple, etc. It is used for seasoning and preserving many kinds of food and drink. Ordinary sugar is essentially sucrose. See the Note below.
- (v. i.) In making maple sugar, to complete the process of boiling down the sirup till it is thick enough to crystallize; to approach or reach the state of granulation; -- with the preposition off.
- (v. t.) To impregnate, season, cover, or sprinkle with sugar; to mix sugar with.
- (n.) Compliment or flattery used to disguise or render acceptable something obnoxious; honeyed or soothing words.
- (v. t.) To cover with soft words; to disguise by flattery; to compliment; to sweeten; as, to sugar reproof.
- (n.) By extension, anything resembling sugar in taste or appearance; as, sugar of lead (lead acetate), a poisonous white crystalline substance having a sweet taste.