• Superior Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Belonging to the part of an axillary flower which is toward the main stem; posterior.
- (a.) More elevated in place or position; higher; upper; as, the superior limb of the sun; the superior part of an image.
- (a.) More comprehensive; as a term in classification; as, a genus is superior to a species.
- (a.) Higher in rank or office; more exalted in dignity; as, a superior officer; a superior degree of nobility.
- (a.) Above the ovary; -- said of parts of the flower which, although normally below the ovary, adhere to it, and so appear to originate from its upper part; also of an ovary when the other floral organs are plainly below it in position, and free from it.
- (n.) The head of a monastery, convent, abbey, or the like.
- (a.) Beyond the power or influence of; too great or firm to be subdued or affected by; -- with to.
- (a.) Pointing toward the apex of the fruit; ascending; -- said of the radicle.
- (n.) One who is above, or surpasses, another in rank, station, office, age, ability, or merit; one who surpasses in what is desirable; as, Addison has no superior as a writer of pure English.
- (a.) Higher or greater in excellence; surpassing others in the greatness, or value of any quality; greater in quality or degree; as, a man of superior merit; or of superior bravery.
• Superioress Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A woman who acts as chief in a convent, abbey, or nunnery; a lady superior.
• Superiorly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a superior position or manner.