• Surd Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Unheard.
- (a.) Net having the sense of hearing; deaf.
- (a.) Involving surds; not capable of being expressed in rational numbers; radical; irrational; as, a surd expression or quantity; a surd number.
- (n.) A surd element of speech. See Surd, a., 4.
- (a.) Uttered, as an element of speech, without tone, or proper vocal sound; voiceless; unintonated; nonvocal; atonic; whispered; aspirated; sharp; hard, as f, p, s, etc.; -- opposed to sonant. See Guide to Pronunciation, //169, 179, 180.
- (n.) A quantity which can not be expressed by rational numbers; thus, ├2 is a surd.
• Surdal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Same as Surd, a., 3.
• Surdity Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Deafness.