• Surety Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who is bound with and for another who is primarily liable, and who is called the principal; one who engages to answer for anothers appearance in court, or for his payment of a debt, or for performance of some act; a bondsman; a bail.
- (n.) That which makes sure; that which confirms; ground of confidence or security.
- (n.) Evidence; confirmation; warrant.
- (n.) Hence, a substitute; a hostage.
- (n.) Security against loss or damage; security for payment, or for the performance of some act.
- (n.) The state of being sure; certainty; security.
- (v. t.) To act as surety for.
• Suretyship Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of being surety; the obligation of a person to answer for the debt, default, or miscarriage of another.