• Surrendering Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Surrender
• Surrender Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The voluntary cancellation of the legal liability of the company by the insured and beneficiary for a consideration (called the surrender value).
- (v. t.) To yield to any influence, emotion, passion, or power; -- used reflexively; as, to surrender ones self to grief, to despair, to indolence, or to sleep.
- (v. t.) To give up possession of; to yield; to resign; as, to surrender a right, privilege, or advantage.
- (n.) The act of surrendering; the act of yielding, or resigning ones person, or the possession of something, into the power of another; as, the surrender of a castle to an enemy; the surrender of a right.
- (v. t.) To yield to the power of another; to give or deliver up possession of (anything) upon compulsion or demand; as, to surrender ones person to an enemy or to an officer; to surrender a fort or a ship.
- (n.) The delivery up of fugitives from justice by one government to another, as by a foreign state. See Extradition.
- (n.) The yielding of a particular estate to him who has an immediate estate in remainder or reversion.
- (v. t.) To yield; to render or deliver up; to give up; as, a principal surrendered by his bail, a fugitive from justice by a foreign state, or a particular estate by the tenant thereof to him in remainder or reversion.
- (v. i.) To give up ones self into the power of another; to yield; as, the enemy, seeing no way of escape, surrendered at the first summons.
- (n.) The giving up of a principal into lawful custody by his bail.