• Suspended Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Suspend
• Suspend Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To support in a liquid, as an insoluble powder, by stirring, to facilitate chemical action.
- (n.) To cause to cease for a time; to hinder from proceeding; to interrupt; to delay; to stay.
- (n.) To cause to cease for a time from operation or effect; as, to suspend the habeas corpus act; to suspend the rules of a legislative body.
- (n.) To attach to something above; to hang; as, to suspend a ball by a thread; to suspend a needle by a loadstone.
- (n.) To make to depend; as, God hath suspended the promise of eternal life on the condition of obedience and holiness of life.
- (n.) To hold in an undetermined or undecided state; as, to suspend ones judgment or opinion.
- (n.) To debar, or cause to withdraw temporarily, from any privilege, from the execution of an office, from the enjoyment of income, etc.; as, to suspend a student from college; to suspend a member of a club.
- (v. i.) To cease from operation or activity; esp., to stop payment, or be unable to meet obligations or engagements (said of a commercial firm or a bank).