• Swallow Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put up with; to bear patiently or without retaliation; as, to swallow an affront or insult.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of passerine birds of the family Hirundinidae, especially one of those species in which the tail is deeply forked. They have long, pointed wings, and are noted for the swiftness and gracefulness of their flight.
- (n.) The aperture in a block through which the rope reeves.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of swifts which resemble the true swallows in form and habits, as the common American chimney swallow, or swift.
- (v. t.) To retract; to recant; as, to swallow ones opinions.
- (v. t.) To seize and waste; to exhaust; to consume.
- (v. t.) To draw into an abyss or gulf; to ingulf; to absorb -- usually followed by up.
- (n.) The act of swallowing.
- (n.) That which ingulfs; a whirlpool.
- (v. t.) To receive or embrace, as opinions or belief, without examination or scruple; to receive implicitly.
- (n.) Capacity for swallowing; voracity.
- (v. t.) To occupy; to take up; to employ.
- (v. t.) To engross; to appropriate; -- usually with up.
- (v. i.) To perform the act of swallowing; as, his cold is so severe he is unable to swallow.
- (n.) Taste; relish; inclination; liking.
- (v. t.) To take into the stomach; to receive through the gullet, or esophagus, into the stomach; as, to swallow food or drink.
- (n.) The gullet, or esophagus; the throat.
- (n.) As much as is, or can be, swallowed at once; as, a swallow of water.
• Swallowfish Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The European sapphirine gurnard (Trigla hirundo). It has large pectoral fins.