• Sweat Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To excrete sensible moisture from the pores of the skin; to perspire.
- (v. i.) The act of sweating; or the state of one who sweats; hence, labor; toil; drudgery.
- (v. i.) A short run by a race horse in exercise.
- (v. i.) To emit moisture, as green plants in a heap.
- (v. t.) To emit or suffer to flow from the pores; to exude.
- (v. t.) To unite by heating, after the application of soldier.
- (v. i.) The sweating sickness.
- (v. i.) Fig.: To perspire in toil; to work hard; to drudge.
- (v. i.) Moisture issuing from any substance; as, the sweat of hay or grain in a mow or stack.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Sweat
- (v. i.) The fluid which is excreted from the skin of an animal; the fluid secreted by the sudoriferous glands; a transparent, colorless, acid liquid with a peculiar odor, containing some fatty acids and mineral matter; perspiration. See Perspiration.
- (v. t.) To cause to excrete moisture from the skin; to cause to perspire; as, his physicians attempted to sweat him by most powerful sudorifics.
- (v. t.) To get something advantageous, as money, property, or labor from (any one), by exaction or oppression; as, to sweat a spendthrift; to sweat laborers.
• Sweatily Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a sweaty manner.
• Sweating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sweat
- () a. & n. from Sweat, v.