• Swelling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of that which swells; as, the swelling of rivers in spring; the swelling of the breast with pride.
- (n.) A protuberance; a prominence
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Swell
- (n.) an unnatural prominence or protuberance; as, a scrofulous swelling.
• Swell Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To grow larger; to dilate or extend the exterior surface or dimensions, by matter added within, or by expansion of the inclosed substance; as, the legs swell in dropsy; a bruised part swells; a bladder swells by inflation.
- (v. i.) To increase in size or extent by any addition; to increase in volume or force; as, a river swells, and overflows its banks; sounds swell or diminish.
- (v. i.) To protuberate; to bulge out; as, a cask swells in the middle.
- (v. i.) To be turgid, bombastic, or extravagant; as, swelling words; a swelling style.
- (v. t.) To raise to arrogance; to puff up; to inflate; as, to be swelled with pride or haughtiness.
- (n.) A showy, dashing person; a dandy.
- (n.) A gradual increase and decrease of the volume of sound; the crescendo and diminuendo combined; -- generally indicated by the sign.
- (n.) Increase in height; elevation; rise.
- (v. i.) To be inflated; to belly; as, the sails swell.
- (v. i.) To act in a pompous, ostentatious, or arrogant manner; to strut; to look big.
- (v. i.) To grow upon the view; to become larger; to expand.
- (n.) The act of swelling.
- (n.) Increase of power in style, or of rhetorical force.
- (n.) Increase or augmentation in bulk; protuberance.
- (v. i.) To be puffed up or bloated; as, to swell with pride.
- (v. i.) To be elated; to rise arrogantly.
- (v. t.) To augment gradually in force or loudness, as the sound of a note.
- (n.) A gradual ascent, or rounded elevation, of land; as, an extensive plain abounding with little swells.
- (n.) A wave, or billow; especially, a succession of large waves; the roll of the sea after a storm; as, a heavy swell sets into the harbor.
- (n.) Gradual increase.
- (n.) Increase of force, intensity, or volume of sound.
- (v. t.) To aggravate; to heighten.
- (a.) Having the characteristics of a person of rank and importance; showy; dandified; distinguished; as, a swell person; a swell neighborhood.
- (v. t.) To increase the size, bulk, or dimensions of; to cause to rise, dilate, or increase; as, rains and dissolving snow swell the rivers in spring; immigration swells the population.
- (v. i.) To become larger in amount; as, many little debts added, swell to a great amount.
- (v. i.) To rise or be driven into waves or billows; to heave; as, in tempest, the ocean swells into waves.