• Swift Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A reel, or turning instrument, for winding yarn, thread, etc.; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- (v. i.) Moving a great distance in a short time; moving with celerity or velocity; fleet; rapid; quick; speedy; prompt.
- (n.) The main card cylinder of a flax-carding machine.
- (adv.) Swiftly.
- (v. i.) Of short continuance; passing away quickly.
- (n.) The current of a stream.
- (n.) Any one of several species of lizards, as the pine lizard.
- (n.) The ghost moth. See under Ghost.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of small, long-winged, insectivorous birds of the family Micropodidae. In form and habits the swifts resemble swallows, but they are destitute of complex vocal muscles and are not singing birds, but belong to a widely different group allied to the humming birds.
• Swiftfoot Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The courser.
- (a.) Nimble; fleet.