• Swingle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To dangle; to wave hanging.
- (v. t.) To beat off the tops of without pulling up the roots; -- said of weeds.
- (v. t.) To clean, as flax, by beating it with a swingle, so as to separate the coarse parts and the woody substance from it; to scutch.
- (n.) A wooden instrument like a large knife, about two feet long, with one thin edge, used for beating and cleaning flax; a scutcher; -- called also swingling knife, swingling staff, and swingling wand.
- (v. i.) To swing for pleasure.
• Swingletree Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A whiffletree, or whippletree. See Singletree.
• Swingled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Swingle