Abating Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AbatingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Abate
• AbateDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To beat down; to overthrow.
- (v. t.) To bring down or reduce from a higher to a lower state, number, or degree; to lessen; to diminish; to contract; to moderate; to cut short; as, to abate a demand; to abate pride, zeal, hope.
- (v. t.) To deduct; to omit; as, to abate something from a price.
- (v. t.) To blunt.
- (v. t.) To reduce in estimation; to deprive.
- (v. t.) To bring entirely down or put an end to; to do away with; as, to abate a nuisance, to abate a writ.
- (v. t.) To diminish; to reduce. Legacies are liable to be abated entirely or in proportion, upon a deficiency of assets.
- (v. t.) To decrease, or become less in strength or violence; as, pain abates, a storm abates.
- (v. t.) To be defeated, or come to naught; to fall through; to fail; as, a writ abates.
- (n.) Abatement.