Active Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ActiveDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having the power or quality of acting; causing change; communicating action or motion; acting; -- opposed to passive, that receives; as, certain active principles; the powers of the mind.
- (a.) Quick in physical movement; of an agile and vigorous body; nimble; as, an active child or animal.
- (a.) In action; actually proceeding; working; in force; -- opposed to quiescent, dormant, or extinct; as, active laws; active hostilities; an active volcano.
- (a.) Given to action; constantly engaged in action; energetic; diligent; busy; -- opposed to dull, sluggish, indolent, or inert; as, an active man of business; active mind; active zeal.
- (a.) Requiring or implying action or exertion; -- opposed to sedentary or to tranquil; as, active employment or service; active scenes.
- (a.) Given to action rather than contemplation; practical; operative; -- opposed to speculative or theoretical; as, an active rather than a speculative statesman.
- (a.) Brisk; lively; as, an active demand for corn.
- (a.) Implying or producing rapid action; as, an active disease; an active remedy.
- () Applied to a form of the verb; -- opposed to passive. See Active voice, under Voice.
- (a.) Applied to verbs which assert that the subject acts upon or affects something else; transitive.
- (a.) Applied to all verbs that express action as distinct from mere existence or state.
• ActivenessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The quality of being active; nimbleness; quickness of motion; activity.